News Top News

Pembroke Dock: Protesters voice concerns about alleged child sex offender

AROUND 30 protesters gathered outside a property on Water Street in Pembroke Dock this afternoon (Oct 9) to express their concern that they thought an alleged child sex offender was living in premises

However, police at the scene told the gathered crowd that the person they were there to protest about was not at the property and would not be returning for the foreseeable future

The police said that efforts had been made to relocate the individual after the demonstration had been advertised on social media.

The Herald understands the demonstration follows an arrest at Pembroke Dock railway station last week, where a man in his 40s was arrested by officers following a sting by child protestor vigilante group Silent Justice.

The controversial organisation, which removed a post from its Facebook page following the suicide of an alleged offender in Ireland in August this year, confronted the Pembroke Dock man and accused him of engaging in a conversation with a 13-year-old girl for a sexual encounter.

In a Facebook Live video watched over 30,000 people, the male was confronted and told that he had actually been talking to a ‘decoy’ who was working for Silent Justice.

Feelings are already running high in the Pembroke Dock area following a major protest earlier this year in Monkton after a convicted sex offender was found in the community.

Speaking last week, a spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “Dyfed Powys Police can confirm that a 43-year-old man has been arrested in Pembrokeshire on suspicion of grooming related offences and is currently in police custody. No charges have been brought at the current time, though officers are investigating the incident fully.

Chief Inspector Steve Davies said: “We recognise the strength of feeling which exists but would like to reassure the public that as your local police we are working hard in carrying out our duty to ensure all members of the community are safe.

“We are fully investigating the matter but ask that people do not take matters into their own hands or get involved in any unlawful activity which could hamper police enquiries. Where any criminal offences are committed, we will take appropriate action.”

By 3:30pm today all the protesters had left the scene.